Friday, June 19, 2009

Foster's Home For Real Neighborhood Children

Recently I've felt an awful lot like a foster mother minus the nice accompanying stipend normally paid to foster parents. It's not an easy job raising all of the neighbor children, but I'm hanging in there like a champ. As a matter of fact, today I inherited another subdivision orphan. He's smallish and hopefully won't eat as much as the rest of them...

Fortunately, all of the children that my son invites over are well behaved...almost to the point of being comical. As I was feeding half of central Indiana the other day, I made the mistake of mentioning to my son and in the presence of the neighbor girl that I has strawberries for LATER. To which said neighbor girl responds longingly, "Oooooooooooooooh, I just LOOOOOOVE strawberries. They're my favorite." Note that I don't want to give everyone strawberries, but rather would like to reserve them for a delicious family treat LATER. I wipe the sweat from my brow when I realize that Hungry Neighbor Girl's strawberry craving has apparently subsided...until five minutes later when she asks, "So, where are those strawberries?" Bless her little heart...she fought back the temptation monster as long as she could. So, being the sucker that I am (thank you Carol Brady), I gave her strawberries. I just really hope that the government realizes what a service I'm doing for the poor destitute children of my community and starts to throw some cash my way, 'cause now I'm out of strawberries...

No comments:

Post a Comment